"Providing Overnight Shelter for Homeless Women"
Safe to Sleep is an overnight shelter providing a safe place for women who have no place to sleep. We function under a partnership among Council of Churches, The Kitchen, One Door, and many local churches. We are able to provide this service because of the generosity of host churches that provide church facilities for a limited time in which women can sleep on cots provided by the Red Cross. Two volunteers each night ensure the health and safety of our guests.
To see a copy of the Homeless Missourians Information System (HMIS) Privacy and Security Notice please click here.
For Women Needing Overnight Shelter:
Shelter admission process:
- An assessment by One Door is required prior to entering the shelter and can be completed by calling 417-225-7499 (300 E. Central)
- If guest is approved, One Door will provide shelter information as well as pick up times/locations.
After hours admission process:
- Call Burrell Crisis Hotline at 417-761-5555 or 800-494-7355 for a phone assessment
- Do not go to Burrell without getting the phone assessment
- Approved guests will be allowed temporary entrance to shelter with agreement to go to One Door the next business day for full assessment
Snapshot of Safe to Sleep:
- Overnight women's shelter open from 7pm-8am
- Averages 25 women a night
- Provided a safe space for more than 900 women since opening in October 2011
- Snacks are served for dinner and breakfast
- Two volunteers are on duty each night to provide oversight
- Various churches host for two-six months at a time
How to Help:
1. Donate: we are always in need of the following items:
- Large size body wash, spray deodorant, and sunscreen
- Socks and underwear
- Coffee - Decaf and Regular
- Sanitary products (Maxi Pads) and razors
- Disposable Ponchos
- Cash donations are always helpful - they allow us to purchase specific items at the time of need
2. Volunteer: Click to fill out an application and agreement & liability form.
- Full night shift - spend the night (7pm - 8am)
- Smaller shift - for a few hours during the night
- School bus driver (class B license with air brake and passenger endorsement)
*If volunteering is not for you, there are still other ways to contribute. Contact Romona Baker for other ways.
Night Volunteer Information:
- Serve every week or two - 7 PM to 8 AM or partial shift. Choose your schedule. We will train you
- Serve in pairs, taking turns staying awake. There is a lit area with Wifi that you can work in while you need to be awake
- At least one woman volunteer each night. Meet another volunteer assigned for that evening, or sign up with a friend or your spouse.
- Meet your partner for the night. Prepare the facility by putting out snacks, preparing coffee, etc.
- Have each woman check in as they arrive. They will pick up their cot and bedding
- Host the women as they relax and go to bed. Split the night with your partner to get three to four hours of sleep
- In the morning make coffee and set out a continental breakfast. Help the women as they put away cots and bedding, encourage them to clean the area, be sure everything is put away and lock door
- Background check required for volunteers
Admittance into Safe to Sleep MUST be approved by One Door. (417.225.7499)
*Needed now and always: toothbrushes and toothpaste!
Ongoing Shelter Needs-We welcome your contribution in unlimited quantities!
||Panties, all sizes
|Shampoo, full sized bottles
|Conditioner, full sized bottles
||Coffee, regular and decaf
|Body wash, full sized bottles
In the News:
One Door has moved to new offices at:
300 E. Central St. in the Affordable Housing Office.
The telephone number is the same: 417.225.7499
Safe to Sleep
627 N. Glenstone
P.O. Box 3947
Springfield, MO 65808
417-862-3586 ext 225